Finningley ARS, RAF Finninley, & RAF Sandtoft
The Amateur Radio club take our name from RAF Finningley, as our founder members were all serving airmen from the RAFARS club at the base, upon announcement of the bases closure, the Amateurs there found a new club location, on the edge of the former RAF Sandtoft base, and relocated. Sadly very few of the original members are still with us, but we continue to remember our roots.
On site we have a memorial dedicated to the service men & women from RAF Sandtoft. Also we have a Rememberance book dedicated to the service men & women from RAF Sandtoft. This was compiled by our friend, Pat Horton in 2016. A lot of reaserch and work went in to producing the excellent insight to Sandtoft’s past for everyone to see.
Anyone is welcome to come and view the Memorial and Rememberance Book on any of our club meetings, or if needed we can open for you, just get in touch with us.
Royal Air Force Amateur Radio Society
In 1935 a group of RAF amateurs stationed at the Electrical and Wireless School at Cranwell began regular meetings to discuss their technical problems. It was decided to form a society and in 1936 the Cranwell Amateur Radio Transmitting Society (CARTS) was founded under the leadership of Wally Dunn G2LR. CARTS membership grew rapidly and a headquarters station was established with the callsign G8FC.
In 1937 the CARTS journal ‘QRV’ was inaugurated to keep members at home, and overseas in the picture. In 1938 membership increased rapidly and it was recognised that a Royal Air Force Society was needed and so RAFARS was founded based at RAF Cranwell. The Society went into suspense during World War II and activities were subsequently resumed in 1947.